Pages

Saturday, September 11, 2010

My Thrifty Dilemma

Hi everyone, sorry I did not have a post for you all yesterday. I have a great excuse as I spent the day eating out and catching up with family and friends for my birthday! Although it wasn't a significant milestone, today I must admit I am feeling very old.

As part of my day long celebrations, I had morning tea at the WAC and afterward (as I was so close) decided to pay a visit to Lifeline which is only a short distance up the road (can't help myself). You wouldn't believe it, but as I pulled up to park my heart actually skipped a beat, there in the window was a beautiful dressing table - perfect for my babies 'big girl room makeover'! I have been on the lookout for some time for a perfect dresser - not too big as the room is small - and with the perfect girlie lines - so this dresser absolutely fitted the bill.


How gorgeous will this look painted?!


My dilemma - I had to buy the entire three piece suite as they would not separate them - ahh!!!



Now, of coarse I was not going to pass up this dresser as I knew It would be a long time before I saw one again, so for $175 I am now the proud owner of an entire Queen Anne style suite!

You may recall from an earlier post that I already purchased some divine bedside tables (below) from Vinnies. So I now have to decide which set of bedsides to keep! Both sets have great lines and will look fantastic painted white ....... which set to choose.


I am going to start sanding and priming one set this weekend so I need to channel Sandy from Paint Me White - any hints you have would be great. Oh and if you are in Brisbane and know of anyone who would like to buy two bedside tables ripe for a repaint, please ask them to email me and make an offer. Otherwise, I will be loading one of the pairs on to ebay next week.


Above is an image from Paint Me White showing how they could potentially look when painted - how inspiring is Sandy!!!

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend! Michelle

18 comments:

  1. Ooohhhh nice treasures that you've found. I'd buy those tables in a heartbeat if you were closer because I'm sure they'll look beautiful when complete! Very nice! I'm all for white, sea salt, hues of blue and greens. ;)Alyssa of Boston Bee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday for yesterday. What a lovely set for your daughter's room. Both sets of bedside tables are lovely. Decisions, decisions!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are those pieces red cedar? If so, they would be quite valuable!

    Oh, I know you want white tables ... but I'd leave them as is if they were red cedar!

    Can you tell? Sorry, but I have a bedroom setting from when I was little and it's all red cedar ... an antiques fellow came over one day and told me to look after it, as it is very collectable due to the fact that there's not the quantity of red cedar to make furniture any more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh i love love love it......good score, i'm also in love with the queen anne style i love the shape of the legs, i picked two off the side of the road a lady was throwing them in the skip, they are already white but will need to do it again......let me know how you get on, how long it takes etc, yay for you, and if nobody buys your second set ebay is another option....
    happy sanding michelle, can't wait to see photos lisa xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your lovely comments. I just had a look at the suite and unfortunately no cedar here - just looks like plain old pine! Am about to start sanding! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday for yesterday! Sounds like you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michelle, a big happy birthday for yesterday! Great pickup, my sister would love that set of bedsides but she is in Melbourne - dilemma! P.S If you are wanting tickets to BHG just drop me an email and I will send you some! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Michelle, me again. I spoke to my sister and she is still interested in the bedsides. I am local so can pick them up. Please drop an email to discuss further... thanks, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe you should paint all four...you would get more on eBay if they are white and already to go...but this is coming from an eBayer who does nothing to everything haha. I would keep the ones that closest match the dressing table so I guess the ones that came with it. You know sandy does painting for others besides herself...maybe worth getting a quote, cheers Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh and happy birthday my dear...sorry I was distracted by your great finds....I was at the WAC yesterday.....Cheers katherine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness. I just can't leave you alone for a second can I :) What a fantastic find but I don't expect anything less from you. Hope you had a nice birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmm what a fabulous dilema to have - both sets look great!

    and hope you had a lovely birthday! jx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday for yesterday. I'm all for painting white too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Michelle. What a great buy! Nice to have both sets of bedside tables to choose from. Personally my choice would be the original set you bought, but they both look like they belong with the dressing table. Just to let you know my latest post has your tags showing how I have used them - positive comments, in particular with the tags. Enjoy your week.
    Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fabulous pieces!! I was going to suggest bedside tables too. And white? The perfect color!! Seems as though as think alike ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow! That's a really gorgeous piece! How lucky! I think you can't never go wrong with white! It always suit everything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my what beautiful furniture. Great finds. Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Fantastic! I love it when you leave a comment.