Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

My Marimekko

Craig Miller-Randle's home


My Marimekko

Okay ..... I'm obviously in love with anything from the 60's. As mentioned in my profile I am currently studying interior design, part of this course includes a soft furnishings assignment on a selected historical period - no prizes for guessing my chosen era! While flicking through some back copies of Inside Out magazine, I was delighted to find the top image taken from Craig Miller Randle's home. Craig is the Director of MRD Home, and his style (altho' somewhat more minimalist than mine), shows just how you can juxtapose different eras to great effect. He has placed a Marimekko wall hung textile from the 1960's with an early 20th Century chandelier and then contrasted all of this with a 1970's table and clear Eros chairs by Philippe Starck. I use the same philosophy in my own home, placing mid-century pieces alongside modern and vintage pieces. Anyone can do the same, It all comes down to balance. Here, in my 'formal lounge' (who has these anymore?) I am also lucky enough to own an original Marimekko which I came across a while ago at Addvintage, I have teamed this with a delta lounge from King Furniture, a Noguchi coffee table and some vintage finds (on coffee table and shelf). The outcome truly shows my eclectic style with my inspiration for this room starting with this beautiful fabric from the 60's!

4 comments:

  1. marimekko is lovely. i bought an orange piece of this fabric whilst in sydney. I'm yet to stretch it but will one day. I adore wolloongabba antiques centre for vintage treasures, i find add vintage too pricey...did you pay alot for that marimekko piece? check out wac, you won't be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have fantastic taste. cool that you're in design school too! glad I discovered you. :) xo Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you love marimekko, at Kiitos Living by Design, Barwon Heads Victoria, we are obsessed by it. Half our store is devoted to marimekko homewares, textiles and apparel. Love your blog , cheers Maria

    ReplyDelete

Fantastic! I love it when you leave a comment.